Discover the unique way to learn English and speak flawlessly like a native!
What is Acting Out ESL?
Acting Out ESL is a Role Play method. It is an effective method to improve practical speaking and listening skills through interactions in class, discussions, debate, and acting as a role in a similar real-life experience in various scenarios. Sometimes you need to add in some fun in learning!
- Multi-media material
- Discussions on current events & issues
- Practical vocabulary & phrases
- Pronunciation correction & accent reduction
- Creative writing & acting script
- Impromptu speech development
- Practical English
- Critical Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking
- School Survival
- New York Field Trip
1. Practical English
- Vocabulary related to food and menus in various restaurants
- Learn commonly used phrases in restaurants
- Options in menu; special offers, today’s menu, course menu, order direction
- In-class discussions: “What’s your favorite cuisine and why?”
- Interactive exercise: “Guess which vegetable and meat go into which food.”
- Role Play: Server and customer in restaurant scene ordering menu with special cooking direction.
2. Critical Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking
- Vocabulary related to recipes and describing the taste.
- Reading short paragraphs and articles about food and taste.
- Listen instructor’s questions and write personal responses.
- In-class debate: “What’s the traditional dish special?”
- In-class discussion: “What’s the most traditional recipes in your country?”
- Interactive exercise: Game: What food is this?
- Role Play: Interviewer and a food critique having conversation about the dish.
3. School Survival
- Vocabulary related to meal plans, school meal menus and options.
- Commonly used phrases in school cafeteria and meal plans.
- In-class discussion: “What changes you want to make for cafeteria food?”
- Interactive exercise: “What type of sources will you add to make the taste in the way you want?”
- Role Play: Student registering his/ her meal plan for school cafeteria.
4. New York Field Trip
- Food of New York Tours: Offers fun and delicious walking, food tasting, and discovery tours. Highlights off the beaten path. Besides the great food, all attendees learn the history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings of a specific neighborhood including Greenwich Village, Chelsea, SoHo, Chinatown, and Nolita.
- Speaking training through questioning and answering in the real situation.
- Response paper and class discussion.